Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lotus Bowl

'The roots of a lotus are in the mud, the stem grows up through the water, and the heavily scented flower lies pristinely above the water, basking in the sunlight. This pattern of growth signifies the progress of the soul from the primeval mud of materialism, through the waters of experience, and into the bright sunshine of enlightenment.'
Continuing my interest in Buddhism I decided to create a piece that would reflect this but also allow me to exercise my creative side.



I had a lot of fun creating the initial form and a few head scratching moments regarding the base but it worked out fine in the end.


I enjoyed the whole process very much but the pyrography work was especially rewarding.  I did not plan this part of the piece and chose to allow my creative side to run free.


Thank you stopping by.

moodwood.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lee

    Having seen this piece in the flesh it has to be a series that you develop. Form and movement go so well together and embodies so much of what we do in life.

    Thank you for leaving it with me,it now sits pride of place on the corner of my sideboard.

    Everytime I walk past I give it a nudge and watch it roll around, slowly settling back into its natural place. No matter how much I try to alter it's final position it will always slowly move to where it wants to be.

    This piece embodies our discussions on Zen and the natural order of life. We are not unlike the bowl. Often we push ourselves or are pushed unwillingly by unforseen circunstances into a place we are unsure about.

    I guess the trick is to let go and allow ourselves to settle into our natural place.

    Initially we may not think that this place is where we want to be as it is often new territory and full of anxiety and a feeling of losing control. But if we put faith in the moment we will end up where we are meant to be. Like this bowl, our natural place.

    Happy turning

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Buddy,

    I am pleased that you can get some comfort and joy from the piece, it really was a beginners mind experience.

    Still continuing to reorganise the workshop, almost there now as I have been putting in a lot of time and effort. Will hopefully be in a position to have a trial run at perfecting the 'rocking bowl'.

    A very heart felt thanks for all your kindness and support, it has been recieved with open hands and an open mind.

    Take care, I'll be in touch real soon.

    Cheers,

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete