Friday, February 25, 2011

Abstract Sculpture Mk II

Having recently discovered the work of Peter Rand I decided to make an off centre sculpture with influences from his style:



This piece was turned on 3 different centres in order to create a triangular shape to the overall form.  Peter Rand creates Tryptic Figures so I wanted to do something similar, the intention being to have a somewhat human or figure like quality to the piece.

Having achieved this overall form I chose to sand the piece heavily with 60grit sandpaper.  This ensured a nice rounded and smoothe feel to the form.  I then used a wire brush to add a very small and subtle texture to the piece.  This gives the piece a look of leather or animal skin such as an Elephant/Rhino.


Staining was carried out on the piece to create a feeling of warmth/heat.

The piece also has a very thin base which has been sanded slightly off centre, this allows the piece to have a slight lean and can be gently pushed to create a kinetic 'wobble'!

moodwood.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lee

    The texture and colour of this adds interest and I really like it.

    I think it is great that you are using your new found skills in turning to explore more sculptural work. Keep pushing your ideas.

    It is refreshing to see someone going their own way without feeling it necessary to stay within the accepted format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,

    I'm really enjoying my turning at the moment. I feel free to explore lots of different techniques and it's nice to be having fun with it too.

    This piece is actually called Phalic, and is part of my conceptual pair of pieces if you like. It represents all that is masculine, with the from, texture and colour etc.

    Thaks for your comments mate.

    ReplyDelete