Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Scottish Woodcraft Show 2011

I have just spent the last 2 days in attendance at the above show with my local club Broxburn Woodcraft Club.  We all had such a happy and productive time at the show and a lot of attention at our stand.



Such a broad range of crafts where on display, and at our stand we had woodturning, instrument making, stick making, scroll saw work and pyrography.  Compared to last year I would say the number of clubs in attendance has risen and the general quality and quantity of work has also improved.


The show took place in the Royal Highland Centre in the Lowland Hall.


 Demonstrators included our very own Mike Pool, who supports the club regularly, and who informed me that it is in fact Billy Connolly who has copied his style!


Other demonstrators included Mick Hanbury, Ray Key and Tony Wilson.



My favourite was Mick Hanbury.  Veering more towards the artistic side of turning I found his work to be colourful and creative, if a little tame.



It was also a pleasant surprise to see Paul Hannabys off centre platter in person.


...and I also took the time to squeeze in a little photo of my own work as featured in the most recent issue of Woodturning.

 All in all I had a great time at the show, a little tiring on the feet and back, but well worth it.  I hope to be in attendance with Broxburn Woodcraft Club next year with a bigger and better stand.

 Thanks for visiting. www.leerobertsneddon.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lee

    It looks like you had a good time and I am pleased that you now have a good club to get involved with. The resources that are available by being involved with other creative people will help to break up those lonely times that we all get working in isolation. Especially when you have been hibernating in that Scottish winter weather.

    Just think a year and a half ago you started turning.

    Now you are exhibiting your work in Dansel Gallery, have your work featured in woodturning magazine, and introducing your designs to the wider community.

    Keep at it mate you are climbing all the time, as we only get to where we want through hard work, dedication and belief in ourselves.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buddy,

    It was great to at the show. As you know I haven't been up to turning for a few weeks now so it was great to be surrounded by it all for a few days. I also got a chance to bond with a few of the guys at the club and have a right good banter.

    I'm feeling quite different these days about my turning and want to take a more controlled, patient and thoughtful approach. Got a nice simple bowl on the lathe at the moment so looking forward to finishing this off.

    Going to spend some time sharpening my tools again as they are loosing there edge. Realising the importance of this came accross at the show as Mick Hanbury in particular kept his tools sharpened on a regular basis with a grinder at his stand.

    All in all it was a good time spend with a really nice bunch of people.

    Cheers,

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete