Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thoughts on Progress

I have been working particularly hard on my turning skills lately and feel that I am reaching another point of learning.  The main concentration of my focus has been on form and finish, clearly 2, if not the only 2 elements that are fundamental to a well proportioned, balanced and elegant form.

It is much easier to write about the prospect of achieving this with my work but it is another thing entirely to put it into practice.  I have spoken with many experienced turners who, while being capable of turning pieces that embody these principles on a regular basis, still struggle with the concepts and the act of putting them into practice.

However, my committment to this simple process will ensure that my work will have a new and improved focus and the hope is that this will transfer into the pieces themselves.  Only time will tell if I have both the mental and physical determination and skill to make this a reality.

A further point to support these ideas is the addition of my new lathe to the workshop.  It has provided me with the ability and confidence to turn pieces with greater ease and efficiency.  It also gives me a greater degree of pleasure and calm and this inturn leads to a more focused and relaxed approach at the lathe (always with safety in mind of course!).

Despite my recent work falling into the 'round and brown' category I will still persue my main love of artistic pieces.  I am working on a small piece at the moment which I feel has focused my articstic tendencies in a more controlled way.  That is to say, that the piece has the same focus of form and finish as does any of my work.



 
moodwood.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment